Ivo Hélcio Jardim de Campos Pitanguy (Belo Horizonte -BR, 1926) is considered the most renowned plastic surgeon from Brazil, and one of the best in the world.
Ivo Pitanguy began to study medicine at the Federal University of Minas Gerais but graduated from the Faculty of Medicine of Federal University of Rio de Janeiro in 1946.
In the late 40s, plastic surgery was not yet recognized as a medical specialty. With a scholarship, Pitanguy left for the U.S. to act as resident surgeon at the Hospital Bethesda, Cincinnati, Ohio, between 1948 and 1949. At that time he attended the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota, and the service of plastic surgery by Dr. John Marquis Converse, in New York.
Back in Brazil in 1949, Pitanguy created the Surgery Service of Santa Casa de Misericórdia of Rio de Janeiro, the first surgery of hand in South America, where he attended the poor patients and victims of deformities. Between 1950 and 1951 in Paris, France, he was a visiting fellow of Marc Iselin, one of the creators of surgery of hand and reference for maimed in service to the Second World War. He also attended other plastic surgery services in France and England.
Again in Brazil, Pitanguy served on the Service and Burns Surgery Repairing at the Souza Aguiar Hospital, Rio de Janeiro, from 1952 through 1955. In 1954 he was the head of the Office Plastic Surgery in Santa Casa de Misericórdia of Rio de Janeiro.
In 1960, he created the post-graduate course in plastic surgery of the Pontifical Catholic University of Rio de Janeiro, integrated into the ward of Santa Casa. The program graduated 45 classes and 500 students from over 40 countries.
In December 1961 a fire occurred at the Gran Circus Norte-Americano, in Niterói (RJ), it was the largest indoor fire ever recorded worldwide, resulting in 2,500 injuries and 500 deaths – mostly children. Pitanguy and a team of volunteers from Brazil and abroad have dedicated themselves for months, for the treatment of victims by reconstructive surgery but also of aesthetic surgery, then still neglected. On that occasion, Pitanguy organized the Service of Burns at Antônio Pedro Hospital, in Rio de Janeiro.
In 1963 he founded the Ivo Pitanguy Clinic, which became a center of excellence in aesthetic and reconstructive plastic surgery. There, Professor Pitanguy oversees a team of plastic surgeons in tune with his techniques and his philosophy.
Every week, on Wednesdays, the teacher goes to the 38th ward of Santa Casa, where guided surgery, discusses the more complex cases with his assistants and share your experience with the residents. A team of 40 doctors, including instructors and assistants, holds about a thousand surgeries annually, mostly in patients with congenital deformities or sequelae of trauma, burns and tumors. Cosmetic surgery are also made because the professor Pitanguy believes that any discomfort with the image itself should be considered.
Ivo Pitanguy is the author of more than 800 papers published in scientific journals around the world. He was a member of the editorial board of the Journal of the American Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery and Head and Neck Magazine. He was editor of the Bulletin of Plastic Surgery of the Catholic University of Rio de Janeiro and the Institute of Postgraduate Medical Carlos Chagas, published in Portuguese and English and published by Journal of Surgery.
Ivo Pitanguy, in a lecture to students, presenting a patient: “We’re not here to judge but to help. “